Paleo, Gluten-Free, Low-Sugar
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries (you could use fresh, but I like to use frozen for this)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp Organic Grade A maple syrup (another sweetener would work fine)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp tapioca starch or arrowroot powder combined with 1 tsp water to make a slurry
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT tapioca starch/arrowroot powder slurry into a saucepan
- Turn heat to medium-high and allow ingredients to come to a boil
- Turn heat down to low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until reduced, stirring occasionally
- Use a potato masher to break up fruit to your desired consistency, I like to leave small chunks of fruit.
- Mix together 1 tsp tapioca starch/arrowroot powder and 1 tsp water to make a slurry and incorporate into fruit compote, stirring well until combined.
- Remove from heat immediately, overcooking actually reverses the effect of the thickening agents in this case.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve over top steel cut oats, french toast, waffles, or even ice cream!
**Makes enough to fill two 12 ounce mason jars
**This post contains affiliate links