This super easy recipe makes delicious refrigerator dill pickles that are ready to be enjoyed in only 24-48 hours! You can also use this recipe to pickle many other vegetables! They are so good!
- 9 Kirby cucumbers (smaller cucumbers have less water and will be crunchier)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tbsp Himalayan sea salt (whole, not ground)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp dried chopped onions
- 9 whole dried bay leaves (3 per 16 oz jar)
- 1 bunch of fresh dill – must be fresh (6 sprigs of fresh dill per 16 oz jar)
- 15 cloves fresh garlic (5 cloves per 16 oz jar)
- Slice both ends off of every cucumber and cut into spears (cut in half lengthwise, then in thirds lengthwise – you should end up with 6 spears for each cucumber)
- Fill a large bowl with ice, cold water, and 1 tbsp sea salt
- Submerge cucumber spears into ice bath and allow to sit for 30 min-1 hr
**Do not skip this step – This helps pickles maintain a crunch. 1 hr is best, but 30 minutes is fine.
- Turn stove to medium-high heat. Boil water, all spices (except bay leaves, garlic cloves, and fresh dill) in a saucepan until sugar and salt have dissolved completely.
- Turn stove off and stir vinegar into the mixture.
- Place 3 dried bay leaves, 6 sprigs fresh dill, and 5 crushed cloves garlic into the bottom of each 16 ounce jar. Recipe should make three 16 ounce jars. **If you are using a larger jar like I did, just double the amount of dill, garlic, and bay leaves in that jar.
- Fill each jar to the top with cucumber spears.
- Pour warm mixture over cucumbers, garlic, bay leaves, and dill. Fill with liquid almost to the top of each jar, leaving about one inch of space. **Do not pour all of the spices into one jar, wait until next step to evenly distribute them.
- Add in 2 spoonfuls of the spices from the pickling mixture into each jar so that the spices are evenly distributed in the jars.
- Refrigerate pickles for a minimum of 24 hours – I think they are best after 48 hour, so try to wait to eat them if you can! 🙂 Enjoy your easy and delicious pickles!
**These pickles will last for two weeks in the fridge, if you can make them last that long!