When you are eating these Paleo biscuits and gravy, you will wonder why you haven’t been making this lighter version the whole time. It is the perfect way to fulfill your craving for this southern brunch classic. I promise you will not miss the dairy or flour in this recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups fine, blanched almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup almond/coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbsp cold unsalted, grass-fed butter (or ghee)
Paleo Sausage Gravy:
- 16 oz Organic ground breakfast sausage (I used ground turkey sausage and recommend using that or chicken sausage!)
- 3 tbsp unsalted grass-fed butter (or ghee)
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 3 cup almond/coconut milk, warmed (heat in microwave for 30 seconds)
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp black pepper (adjust to taste)
- Set oven to 400 degrees and butter a 9-10 inch pie pan.
- Combine all wet ingredients – almond/coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, and eggs.
- Whisk all dry ingredients- almond flour, tapioca flour, sea salt, baking powder, and coconut sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter, forks, or fingers until you have achieved a crumbly, sand-like texture.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Using hands, mix until just fully incorporated.
- Form 9 loose balls and place into oiled pan with 8 biscuits around the outside and one on the inside. Press down slightly on the tops of each biscuit.
- Place in oven for 22 minutes. Remove from oven once tops are golden.
Paleo Sausage Gravy:
- Turn stove to medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, add in sausage and cook until sausage is browned and fully cooked through.
- Remove browned sausage from pan with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- There should be about one tbsp of sausage drippings left in pan (remove excess, if there is more). Turn heat to medium. Add in 3 tbsp butter/ghee and allow to melt.
- Whisk in almond flour and tapioca flour to create a roux with the butter. Whisk for one minute to allow flour taste to cook off.
- Pour in 3 cups of warmed almond/coconut milk, whisking constantly so it does not get lumpy. (Make sure milk is warm or roux will turn into lumps)
- Whisk in sage, salt, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes until gravy has thickened. **If you like the gravy thicker – simply mix 1 tbsp almond/coconut milk and 1 tbsp tapioca flour to make a slurry and add a little at a time until you’ve achieved your desired consistency. If you like thinner gravy – simply add more almond/coconut milk to thin it out.
- Adjust gravy to taste. We like ours more peppery, so we used about 3 tsp black pepper. Salt may also need to be increased based on how salty your sausage is.
- Split open a biscuit or two 🙂 and pour gravy over top. Enjoy this lightened up version of an indulgent brunch!